I am a week behind on posting new pictures.
It’s been a very busy fortnight.
Last Saturday, Ron and I prepped the front of the house for major surgery. We installed new windows and basically tore the front of the house off and rebuilt it.
Sunday, I went to visit Mom and Dad, while Sandy, Rachel and Jessica stayed here and painted!
All week small projects were done… Then, on Saturday, I was by myself and got a lot done.
Sunday we hit the place hard again….
For those of you who don’t recall, here is our front window. Its old, painted shut… who knows how long its been since it was open…
We opened the window, somehow without breaking it! … we also found out how long it had been since it was opened…
…June 29th 1952 was close to the last time this window worked. I found a bunch of newspapers that were used as insulation before the window was sealed. They were too crumbly to really unfold, much as I tried. Apparently though, a horse called Whimsical Mood had won some sort of honors at the races.
When our next door neighbor Andrea was outside, she said ‘woah, you really did mean a giant hole would be in the house…’ I then challenged her to a fight for doubting me.
We started to build out the framework for the bay.
Ron yelled out angles and lengths, and Uncle Mike answered with the noises of a miter saw…
Drywalled! Check it out! It increases the perceived size of the living room, and makes it much breezier and brighter.
Yeah, but what’s it look like on the Outside?
Here’s the street view with the old window.
Here’s a closeup of the old window, with the proposed angles mocked up with bits of scrap on the porch.
Of course, that old siding was in the way.
You could probably drive a jeep through the hole we cut in the house
Outside trim installation.
Close up of the trim going in…
I put some waterproofing primer on the outside.
We took the good siding that we removed for the bay and used it to fix the bad siding. It’ll be ready for paint this summer.
Mom and Dad gave us a new motion sensor activated porch light.
Here’s a close up of the new light, man that siding is gross.
Rachel, Sandy, and Jessie painted the floor of the 3rd level.
The girls did a fantastic job of painting the floor.
The third floor is DONE!
Jessie painted the master bedroom, its a very calming color.
Here’s another angle of the master bedroom with color.
Saturday I spent the day by myself…
I finished a lot of wiring…
We got these cool chrome sconces for beside the bathroom mirror.
I got the fan and the recessed light over the shower to work.
I built and installed this new Hunter fan for the master bedroom. Go GREEN with energy saver bulbs! (They finally make them in the 4500k color range so they look incandescent, instead of blue)
This is why I spent the day by myself. Ron said he had a job to do that day. At the end of the day I got to see what he had done. He built this whole deck and stairway in one day.
We got the hole in the dining room patched.
A little mud smooths the edges nicely.
This is where the radiator was, it had been neglected for many many years. Ron is trying to feather out the plaster so it looks nice.
Jess painted the insides of the closets.
Here, Ron gives the chimney a final touch on plaster.
Mike came over and wired the new wall sockets around the house.
Jessie got a bird feeder to take care of the neighborhood avian friends.
Jess also got a cool hanging basket for the front porch
It’s starting to feel like the life is returning to a neglected hollow shell of a home.